Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Things hippies like: Swap meets

Have I ever told you how much I love to get a great deal? Do you know what's even better than a great deal? Paying NOTHING! Wooooooot! Swap meets are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to me.
For freeeeeeee!
It might surprise you to know that almost everything in my wardrobe currently has been acquired for free. Or not surprise you at all. I tend to be at least moderately stylish so it should. So why would one want to paw through another's cast offs? Well firstly, it's like a treasure hunt and I always get so much great stuff for nothing. Plus I get to unload things I'm no longer using. How it works is that people show up to the swap meet with things they are no longer using to trade for other things.
There isn't really a system at the ones I've been to, just first come first serve. I have literally never seen a fight-we hippies are a peaceful people.
Happiness in plaid.
Did you know cotton and coffee are the crops most heavily sprayed with pesticides? Second hand "shopping" allows you to tread more lightly on the planet. Using less stuff, reusing more stuff and getting crap for free-life doesn't get better than that. Think about organizing a swap meet for yourself, in particular if you've got children who are always growing and outgrowing-it's like the motherload.
Ready for a hot date. "Can you believe I found this in a dumpster?"

No comments:

Post a Comment