Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ask a Vegan! First edition

So any time I meet a vegan out and about, the first thing I do is inundate them with questions! I love hearing about other's journeys and how they got there, and I hope you will too! I also hope that it will help people see that most vegans are just like regular people and not some freaks living on the fringe. Well, except my first featured guest. Total freak :) The wonders of the internet brought us together, and today is her birthday! Lets show her some love!

Name: Kim (Though I would appreciate if we called her by her internet moniker: Sassy Big Butt Beauty)

Age: 37

How long have you been vegetarian/vegan? 5 months as of today! (Happy birthday and veggieversary baby!)

What made you decide to take the plunge? I went vegetarian at first because I just couldn't stand the thought of eating flesh anymore. During those first weeks I joined lots of groups to make sure I was eating properly and to get support. I saw a lot of articles and videos about farming practices and realized that it wasn't just the meat but animal products in general. For me, eliminating one but eating things like eggs and cheese started to feel really hypocritical. So, after 2 weeks of being vegetarian, I went full vegan.

Do you have a personal philosophy? I have the word "yes" tattooed on the inside of my left wrist. It's to remind me that no matter what, life is worth saying yes to. That doesn't only include my life, either, but other living creatures.

Is there anything you struggle with as a vegan? My family is omni and my kids are still young enough that I can't just send them off to make their own meals. I do make them a lot of vegetarian fare but after 5 months of trying to get them to eat certain things I finally had to accept that they aren't ready to join me on this journey just yet.

Do you have a blog you’d like to share? I'm also gluten free and sometimes being GF and Vegan can be a tough combo. This website is more of a compilation of GF Vegan blogs and I've found value in all of them. http://xgfxcommunity.blogspot.com/

Favorite vegan website? I really like the Vegan Society. http://www.vegansociety.com/

Another one I like is Farm Sanctuary. It isn't advertised as a 'vegan' website, but they are and they do great work rescuing and caring for farm animals.

Favorite food? Sushi. Or Veggie fajitas. Or ice cream. Hmmm... I can't pick just one. I love food. ( Ha, is there anyone more obsessed with what they eat than vegans ? :)

Least favorite food? I'm really not a fan of Tempeh. (I'll make you a believer yet!)

Favorite vegan junk food? Coconut Bliss Cookie Dough Ice Cream

What other stereotypical hippie thing do you do? I cloth diaper :)

Tell me something totally awesome about yourself: Since it's my birthday today I'm reminded of my 16th birthday and what happened on that day. I was at church and a woman in the congregation had a heart attack. Long story short, there were only 2 of us that knew CPR; me, who didn't want to go on my birthday, and a respiratory therapist who hadn't been to church in over 10 years and randomly chose our church that morning. Miss Erlene lived that day and I always thank God for making sure I was where I needed to be at that moment. I always think of her on my birthday! (What an amazing story! Wow.)

Thanks so much for your wisdom and for being a great sport Kim-Love you!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is an incredible story about Miss Erlene. Mysterious ways, indeed.

    I can't believe you don't like tempeh, though. I had it for the first time last night and I tell ya. Blown away. Love it.

    Happy Birthday, Kim!

    ReplyDelete